Table of Contents
We are using URL shortening services to hide main URL. Mainly We are using top popular url shortening services like TinyURL, Bit.ly etc on daily basis. These services are great, but have you thought of creating your own url shortener. Yes You are Reading right to make your own url shortener with your own domain name. Setting up such service on your own is fairly easy.
YOURLS (Your Own URL Shortener) is the solution of creating your own URL Shortener very easily. It’s a free PHP script created byLester Chan and Ozh Richard that allow you to create something similar to TinyURL and Bit.ly. Running your own URL shortener is fun, geeky and useful: you own your data and don’t depend on third party services. It’s also a great way to add branding to your short URLs, instead of using the same public URL shortener everyone uses. We’ve installed it on our some website and played around with it for a while, and here are our Experience about YOURLS:
- Easy to install – Its very easy to install in any domain.
- Customizable links – You can customize the links instead of the random characters that make no sense.
- Statistics – An admin page that allows you to manage and keep track of details like date of creation, IP, clicks, etc.
- Public/Private links– You control whether this service is available for public(everybody can create short links, fine for an intranet) to use or yourself only.
- Bookmarklet – Easy bookmarklet to create your own short URL on the fly.
What We Need to Setup YOURLS:
Here are some things you’ll need before the installation:
- A domain – A short one would be perfect but it’s hard to get these days. If you are thinking of getting a really short domain name, we suggest you try your luck on country code top-level domains like .in, .lv, .ly, .us etc with domain.nr. If you don’t want to buy domain and setup in your already running domain then you can create a subdomain like https://go.yourdomain.com and install yourls here.
- PHP Supported account – YOURLS runs on PHP, so you will need to make sure the server (dedicated or shared hosting) supports PHP 4.3 and MYSQL 4.1 and above with mod_rewrite enabled.
You Can Read more for Yourls Requirement Here.
How to Setup Yourls on your Domain: Step by Step
1.Download the latest version of YOURLS. Unzip it and fire up your favorite text editor. We are about to do some configurations.
- Look for user/config-sample.php, rename it to user/config.php
- Open user/config.php with a raw text editor (like Notepad or Dreemviewer )
- Mandatory settings you’ll need to change are:
YOURLS_SITE. Last but not least, change your password for
username. The rest of the settings are optional. We suggest you go through the entire thing, it’s pretty self-explanatory. Please drop us a comment if you have problem filling this, or check out the YOURLS configuration guide.
- Create a database – Create a database with the name you’ve inserted for
YOURLS_DB_NAME. If you don’t know how to create mysql database contact your hosting provider.
Upload all files and folders in the exact same structure to the root folder of your web hosting account. Your root folder name might varies from public_html, www, html, etc. Or your custom folder. For File uploading you can use any FTP Client. Check here top best FTP Clients.
We are almost done now. Open Your browser, type https://yourdomain.com/admin/ in browser address bar. If everything is setup correctly, you’ll see these following messages with the link to your admin page at the end of the line.
Go on, login and start creating your very own short URL. Make sure you check out the Tools too, if you’d like to make a bookmarklet.